Thursday, April 8, 2010

Countdown to Mexico!

In six days Santi and I will be on a plane to Mexico! I am excited not only to have some sunny, warm weather, but also to get my husband back! Of course I miss him, but it's also to have someone share taking care of Santi with me. Greg's mom arrived yesterday afternoon to help with Santi, and she'll stay with us until we leave next Wednesday. I'm very grateful for that, but it's just not the same as having someone who knows the ins and outs of your routine without having to ask, and having that help come from someone your child knows and is used to. Santi is not comfortable being alone much with his grandmother because he doesn't see her on a regular basis. He clings to me while she is here and protests if she tries to help by holding him or playing with him. So I end up with a "velcro" baby as soon as I get home from work until he falls asleep. Which has been 9:30pm the last two days. Ugh! I really hope that stops tomorrow.

Of all of the big hurdles that lie between now and Wednesday's flight, the biggest is that Santi has a double ear infection and the doctor doesn't want him to fly if it's not cleared up by Tuesday afternoon. So I'm really hoping the antibiotics do their thing fast.

In more practical problems, I'm trying to sort out the mess of paperwork that arises when you are a tri-national family taking a trip that involves traveling between all three of those countries when momma and baby don't have the same last name, and papa isn't going to be on any of the flights. At this point, I don't think any of the countries any longer requires notarized permission from the absent parent for the child to travel with the other parent. And, in any case, Santi is a citizen of all three countries, so he can't be denied entry. I just need to bring proof of all of those nationalities and proof that I am his momma.

No comments: